Research & Development Scientist
WHO ARE WE?
Brilliant are currently recruiting for a Research & Development Scientist on behalf of a leading technical manufacturing company based in York.
*** Full Driving License and access to a vehicle are required for this role due to our location. ***
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR
MAIN PURPOSE OF ROLE:
The technical department is responsible for the design, test and continual improvement of our products while also supporting other elements of the business through our knowledge of products and regulations such as selecting solutions to meet our customers’ needs.
This role has two primary responsibilities;
- Carrying out thermal and physical scientific testing (after training) and reporting on performance of existing and potential new products, using our environmental test chambers, computer software and other facilities
- Providing technical & regulatory advice, assistance and support to customers and our sales and other teams across the business
- Perform thermal testing using environmental test chambers
- Design & maintain testing programme to use resources efficiently
- Deliver required tests and reports to agreed timescales
- Completion of the testing overview and testing protocol sheets in accordance with instructions from the Technical Services Manager
- Assist product development using our thermal modelling software (training will be given)
- Write detailed and accurate reports on testing outcomes
- Monitor test chamber condition and perform routine maintenance as scheduled
- Perform other testing as necessary (drop/pressure testing)
- Provide technical assistance to the Sales, Quality and Operations teams within the business and other global sites.
- Provide technical assistance to customers
- To run experiments in line with the requirements of the customer and good working practices
- Perform computer simulations and data analysis
- Maintain and develop data analysis and data management tools
- Any other duties as and when required
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
ESSENTIAL SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
- Scientific based higher education qualifications or degree or equivalent experience
- Strong attention and dedication to detail
- Problem analysis and problem-solving skills.
- Computer literate – especially with Microsoft Office packages.
- Must be able to accurately follow all company processes and procedures.
- To be able to work on own initiative and as part of a team as and when required. Ability to prioritise under pressure
- Excellent time management skills.
- Accurate report writing and proof reading
- General education background including minimum of three A Levels and five GCSE A*-C (or equivalent) including English, Maths and science qualifications
- Excellent communication skills - verbal and written
PREFERRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE
- Experience in running projects independently and reporting back to the department and wider business
- Knowledge/experience of basic thermodynamics
- Initiative and desire to improve systems and processes
- Knowledge /experience of computational modelling and simulation software & techniques
- Passion, enthusiasm and a willingness to learn.
- Must be a positive, focused individual who is able to work in collaboration with other people internally and externally in a polite and confident manner.
- To be self-motivated and demonstrate self-management skills.
WHAT'S IN IT FOR YOU?
- 09.00 – 17.30, Monday to Friday.